Saturday 13 April 2013

Day out at Dover Castle

If you're ever in the south east of England I would highly recommend a trip to Dover Castle. We used our Tesco vouchers to get a joint adult membership to English Heritage. To be honest, even though you can exchange your vouchers for many different rewards, I haven't been drawn to anything in particular which is why we decided on the English Heritage membership. My thought was that even if we didn't manage to visit any properties, at least the charity would get something from our membership. I've always wanted to take the family to Dover Castle. I went for the first time over 10 years ago accompanying school children in my first job. I loved it then and it was even more special this time.

This was the view from below the castle.


We went into the secret tunnels exhibition which was amazing.


It was well worth the wait. I love interactive talks and this really brought the history alive. We also went into the underground hospital which was fascinating and showed what it would have been like to work in that environment. I am forever thankful to those men and women who fought for us to have the freedom that we experience today.

We also spent some time in the castle itself - the inside furniture has been recreated by modern day craftspeople.




The sun even managed to come out at various points during the day. It was a lovely day and definitely a great day out for all ages.




1 comment: