Sunday 14 April 2013

Messenger Bag

It's the last day of holidays so I thought I'd go out with a bang. I know that I won't have much time for crafting for the next couple of weeks so I'm trying to cram everything into this holiday period. Even the sun has come out today to cheer me on my way. Don't you just love it when you can get all the washing done and dried in one day. We don't have a drier making our kitchen diner always looks like a Chinese laundry so it's wonderful when the sun comes out and I can start drying everything outside. It looks like this will be the warmest day for a while so I'm making the best of it.

I was searching on the Internet last night for a new bag pattern and I came across this one. I don't have any bright, flowery material but I do have LOADS of suit fabrics from my grandparents and I'm always looking for ways to use them. I'm trying to pluck up the courage to make a suit jacket - I'm saving that project for another time. Instead, I cut out the pattern pieces last night and made the bag today. I've bought loads of thread for 40p from fabricland last Sunday. The shop assistant said that it was as good as the other thread they sold but it was just unbranded. Well, I can tell you that it wasn't the same as it isn't as strong and every so often, would break as I was just getting into the swing of things. With that and the needle breaking twice, then the bottom stitch not working properly (although that was completely my fault as I put the replacement needle in the wrong way round) it's taken most of the day to make the bag. I've also spent some time reading The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler. It's a thriller that is full of twists and turns and really keeps you on your toes.

So, here is the finished bag, modelled outside (I wasn't sure we'd ever have good enough weather again for that) by yours truly.


I've also taken some close ups - I've added some purple ribbon under the flap as an embellishment and an inside pocket in the main material.





This is the first messenger bag I've ever made and I'm quite proud of myself. Ever since I started watching the Great British Sewing Bee  I've wanted to get my sewing machine out although I haven't moved onto making my own clothes yet. I've certainly got enough material to make a whole new wardrobe for myself. Note to myself - I don't need to buy any new material or other crafting supplies for quite a long time. In fact, I'm going to set myself a new term resolution - make do and mend. I bought this card from Dover Castle during the week and I think it sums up my new philosophy quite nicely.


Now I just need to think about what to save for (clearly not more material!). Enjoy the rest of your day and I hope the sun is shining wherever you are in the world. Let me know what you've been making

No comments:

Post a Comment