Tuesday 4 June 2013

St. Clement's Cake

I love baking using Nigella Lawson's recipes. In particular, the recipes in How to be a Domestic Goddess. I have a well thumbed copy and have tried a number of the recipes over the years. I love her lemon drizzle cake and decided it was time to do some baking at the weekend. I had some oranges that needed using up but I had already used the orange rind so I decided to use lemon rind instead, hence the St. Clement's element.


Here is the recipe...

125g marg or butter
175g caster sugar
Grated rind of 1 lemon 
2 eggs
175g self raising flour
Pinch of salt

Cream the marg and sugar, add the eggs and lemon rind and beat well. Add the flour and enough water or milk to make a dropping consistency. I added water as I was making the cake for colleagues at work and one of them is lactose intolerant. I also used pure margarine which has no dairy products in it. 

Line a loaf tin and spoon the mixture in. Bake in an oven pre heated to 180 degrees centigrade for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. 



While the cake is baking, mix 4 tablespoons of orange and/or lemon juice (I used both) with 100g icing sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the icing sugar dissolves. 



Once the cake is out of the oven, skewer all over and pour the syrup over and leave to soak in. 


Allow to cool completely. I made double the mixture so I ended up with two cakes. Both are now in the freezer (they freeze beautifully) ready for cake Friday.

2 comments:

  1. I've never made the syrup using icing sugar. I've always used caster or granulated sugar.

    I'm guessing the icing sugar will give a smoother liquid instead of the grittiness of the other sugars. Good idea. I'll have to try it next time xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing. Thank you so much for linking up.

    ReplyDelete